Saturday, January 06, 2007


"It's the journey, not the destination"

Although I don't really know who first said this, it's been quoted, rearranged, and mutilated countless times since. Is it true? Is life truly about the journey, and not the destination? (according to AeroSmith, it is) This notion seems to work well with my tittle "now and zen". Try to be mindful in everything you do; every action in your life should be as important as the next. Whether you are working, writing, or chopping vegetables. But seriously, what's so good about the Journey anyway? Usually my seat sucks, I'm tired, jet lagging and the dude next to me smells.

Recently I had the worst journey of my life, but the destination was damn near paradise.

It all started on the morning of my trip to Canada. I woke up on time, got to the train station on time, but the train didn't come on time. The trains in Japan are ALWAYS on time. Anyway, I missed the bullet train my buddies were on at Hiroshima central station. But no big deal, I can get to Osaka easily, and I have plenty of time. So I jumped the next train and arrived alone. Next step: get to the airport. Almost as soon as I got off the train, I saw signs for a bus to Osaka airport. It was cheaper than I thought it would be. Great, and the bus ride only took about 30 minutes. When I arrived, the first thing I thought was 'wow, this place is smaller than I remember.' I checked the terminal listings, looking for my airline....but all I could see where Japanese airlines and a few other Asian ones......

MOTHERF#$% B*LLSH!T D@MN!T

And there it was right behind me...a bus to take me to...Kansai Osaka airport. Where I should be. I now had two hours before my flight left....the bus was leaving in 20 minutes and it takes 70 minutes to get there. Hello Christmas in Japan. So I asked a taxi:

Kansai Kuko made ikura desuka? (how much is it to kansai airport?)

He said something I couldn't understand and pointed to a sign that said 5000 Yen. That's like 50 bucks Canadian. So I said:

Kansai Kuko made dono gurai kakarimasuka? (how long does it take?)

50 minutes. Not to bad, maybe I can make this.

So I hoped in, and watched the meter climb and climb. Past 2000, past 5000 past 10000, then past 15000. I don't know what the hell that sign was he pointed at was, but took my first 155 dollar cab ride that day.

I ran inside that airport. I was totally that asshole. Wow did I run, from one line to the next. This little Japanese lady needed to search my big suitcase but couldn't lift it onto the table. So in my haste I just heaved it up for her. Ow, my back. Double ow. It hurts right now still. Well, I made the flight all right, and after about a three hour delay and having to change to a functional plane in Detroit, I made it to Canada with a light wallet and a sore back.

This journey sucked, but the destination was heaven. But it's kind of funny how the journey makes the best story, isn't it?

d.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Derek!
Glad you had such a good time. It was soooo nice to have you home. Hope you are enjoying your coffee. 5 more months right?
Karen

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home