Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Clotheses

I wish my grass were emo. Then, maybe it would cut itself.

Heh.

Anyway, my 19” plasma monitor has been recalled. For at least two weeks. I got into the store, tried to show the guy my receipt, but all he did was look at the serial number and say, ‘ah, recall.’ Why didn’t they phone me before?!

Ok, and another thing. The word ‘clothes’ really pisses me off. Because it doesn’t follow any grammatical rules at all.

First off, it has no plural. It is singular and plural at the same time. Technicaly, it’s uncountable. You would never say ‘one clothes, two clothes, three clothes…ect.” Am I right?

Second, with uncountable nouns you always use ‘much’ instead of ‘many.’ How MUCH milk do you want? However, we say, “how MANY clothes did bring.” Am I right? Tell me I’m right.

Third. Ok ok ok. Maybe there’s an easier answer for this…oh I know! MOOSE! Moose are countable, but the word itself is uncountable! (so are all animals with antlers…not horns…antlers) Wait wait wait…”I saw a moose,” “I have a clothes.” I AM SO RIGHT! THIS WORD SUCKS.

Clothes follows no grammatical rules that I can think off. It seems to be an anomaly front and centre stage. It’s no wonder so many of my students say ‘clothes’ like ‘closes.’

Ok that’s my rant. Stupid monitor. So right.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I've figured it out. "Clothes" is a plural uncountable noun - like games, mathematics and shorts. You wouldn't say 'how "much" shorts do you have?' But since it's a plural, it takes the plural verb form. Whatcha think?

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home